CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lots going on...

"Little bit" turned 3 a few days ago add we had a crowd at the house. All of this around the July 4th holiday. I didn't follow my plan for weight loss as closely as I would have liked, but I did enjoy the time with friends and family.

My friend just had her second child about 2 weeks ago, and there was D-R-A-M-A-!!!

Here's the story:

The baby arrived without much ado (other than the baby was early everything went smoothly with the delivery). After 24 hours the little one developed jaundice, and as my friend put it, "It's not the sit-in-sunlight-and-be-cured kind of jaundice, but the mommy's-blood-hates-baby's-blood-and-is-trying-to-destroy-all-the-red-blood-cells kind." The little one got sent to the NICU when the jaundice level tripled and got to wear a lovely eyemask while basking under the tanning bed for the next 36 hours. The jaundice level was down at the next testing, but unfortunately it climbed up until it was even higher than it had been when the baby went to the NICU in the first place. So back under the lights the little one went.

Meanwhile, the nurses got scared when the little one decided to take a little break from breathing one morning and turned blue. They gave the baby some oxygen for about 10 seconds,and the little one began breathing, and for all this trouble, earned an extra 5-days-minimum-stay in the NICU and visits from lots of heart and ears-nose-and-throat doctors. The ENT guy diagnosed the baby with acid reflux and put my friend on a dairy-free diet. That could have caused the breathing episode, and that would be the best case scenario because either diet or medicine could fix the problem.

You would've thought this would be enough for all of them, but one nurse in the NICU decided to make things more interesting by giving the baby some other woman's breastmilk one night. That was a bit of a shock for them, considering the bottles are "all color-coded and labeled with (the family's) name and hospital ID number, and sit in a basket that also has (their) name on it." So they pumped the baby's stomach and then they spent most of the next day waiting to find out if the other mother had HIV or any other communicable diseases. No HIV, so that's good news.

From what my friend told me everything else came out OK, but I'm not 100% sure if all of the test have come back yet. Anyway, I think everything's fine as everyone is back home and they made it to "Little Bit's" Party the other day (Yes even the baby and I got to hold the little one...I forget how small they are when they're born!)

On a different note:

Yesterday, was the 7th anniversary of the death of my friend Danielle Cipriani, and while the waste of space who did it now has to serve back to back life sentences and has been serving them since he was sentenced 4 years ago...I still have brief moments of out and out anger and also sadness...I usually don't think about her death much less the date of it and probably wouldn't have this year either if it weren't for someone mentioning it yesterday and pointing out exactly what day yesterday was...

I'm a little bit of an emotional mess today, but I'm holding it together...my apologies for rambling on and on and on...

That's a life update to this point...moving on.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

If all that was going on in my life I would have a weight gain. I eat under stress. So don't worry about last week start a new one and move forward. I'm very glad to hear your friends baby is okay. Babies should not be sick it just isn't fair!

Unknown said...

never be sorry for writing about your feelings in your blog. My heart is with you as always.

Dette said...

OMG! Thank goodness the baby is okay - and whatever happened to the ding-dong-nurse who gave him SOMEONE else's breast milk?! Of all things.

That baby sure is a trooper - and so are YOU!! Talk about a tough week - glad it ended up on a good note with Little Bit's birthday - happy belated to the 3 year old!!

Clara said...

I read the story about your friend Danielle. Such a horrible thing to happen. I know from experience that anniversaries like that can make sneak attacks on you even when you don't consciously remember them. It's not something you get over easily. Never feel bad about letting the feelings out. If you try to keep them inside, you'll explode!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. They mean more than you know.

b boys mom - I go one way or the other...sometimes I gorge and others I starve...I guess it was a gorge week, but you are right...it's a new week, and a new start!

eternal flux - I know you're there and understand...thank you!

dette - If you can believe it the "ding dong" was working in the NICU the next night! Needless to say my friends are looking into their options at this point. As for the baby...what a trooper is right. Still smiling and everything at the party.

clara - Thank you for your kind words. It was/is a hard thing to move through. The trial was hard as well as I had to testify at it, because she had dinner with hubby and I and "Big Stuff" who was a little baby at the time ("Little Bit" wasn't even a thought yet!). I wouldn't wish that experience on any one! I've let it out many times over the years and will probably continue to do so in years to come. Anyway, thank you again for you kind words.

Cheryl said...

Wow, what a week. I am glad the baby was okay. I read the article and am so sorry about this tragic event.

It's great that you got to spend time with family and friends at the party. I usually am a little more flexible with my eating during these types of events! Your overall progress is great!