CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Weight Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monday, March 3, 2008

Scarlet Fever?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!

Sooooo I take "big stuff" to the doctor because he's itching like crazy!!!! He has no fever, no rash, nothing other than the horrible itching. Of course this is all before I get to the doctor...his teachers at school will even back me up on this. Anyway, we get to the doctor's office and he is still itching...we're talking Benedryl oral and topical in use and NOTHING is touching this itch. Takes his temp...98.4 (F){that would be approximately 36.9 (C) for the rest of the world so pretty close to normal...low even}(ok that's good), then the doctor check's his throat...a little red...so they ask "big stuff" if it hurts "NO!!! BUT I"M ITCHING!!!!!!!!" They lift his shirt to check his heart and wonder upon wonders...there's a rash bright red all over his back. "Let's do a throat culture....positive for strep. " "Big stuff" are you sure your throat doesn't at least itch???" "NO!!!! IT DOESN'T, BUT MY SKIN ITCHES EVERYWHERE!!!!" Doctor says he's got Scarlet Fever and can go back to school in 2 DAYS The doctor's got to be joking...Scarlet Fever?!?! Doesn't that kill people, and how on EARTH did he get it? "He probably got it at school...all it is...is strep throat with a fine red rash" (Must've read the befuddled look on my face). "He'll itch a lot tomorrow but he'll be fine. Have him eat off of disposable flatware for the next few days."

Called the school and said," "Big Stuff" has Scarlet Fever." AND the school said, "Ok and he'll be back in about two days, right?" Me (in utter shock), "Right." School, "Ok, tell him we hope he feels better, and we'll let his teachers know."

Scarlet Fever...who knew?!?!?!

1 comments:

Barb said...

It's easily treated nowadays, but left untreated it can become quite serious.

I know how you felt though. I once had Bell's Palsy. When they told me what it was, I thought I was just diagnosed with a terminal disease.